Monday, February 1, 2016

A Much Needed Rebuke

***...well, not a rebuke so much as a reminder. My pastor is really good at that. The sermon yesterday was from Luke 6, the first part of the Beatitudes. It was basically a reminder that what is worldly is temporal, and what is spiritual is forever. In other words, if we put our confidence in what we can acquire here on earth, we are going to be very disappointed because it doesn't last. Our minds should be fixed on spiritual things, on knowing that no matter what happens here, our eternal home is in heaven and every trial just brings us closer to our heavenly home. Obviously, that's not always easy. Applying that to myself, I know that I've invested way too much time and energy into politics and arguing with people whom I agree with on 99% of other issues. There's nothing wrong with caring what happens to our country and actively trying to make it better, but I'm way out of balance. He even mentioned Donald Trump in the sermon yesterday, which is of course the main source of my arguments lately. I have to severely cut back my Facebook time, and just stay out of threads about Trump. I get argumentative and sometimes too aggressive and it's not helpful and not likely to change anyone's mind anyway. It's silly for me to expend so much time and effort doing that when there are a lot more positive things I could be doing...like keeping up with my work. :-) 

***Hackers hijack drone after massive breach at NASA. Well that doesn't give me a lot of confidence...

Members of the AnonSec hacking group have released more than 276GB of data after allegedly spending months inside NASA’s internal network.
The collection of files, provided to Infowars by AnonSec admin Dêfãult Vírüsa prior to being made public Sunday, include 631 videos from aircraft and weather radars, 2,143 flight logs as well as the names, email addresses and phone numbers of 2,414 NASA employees.
A “zine,” or self-published paper detailing the hack, dubbed “OpNasaDrones,” reveals everything from AnonSec’s motives to the specific technical vulnerabilities that enabled the extensive breach.

Yeesh.

***Iran's supreme leader awards medals to those who captured US sailors. Just a little reminder, we have lifted sanctions on these barbarians. Nice job there, Obama.

***Super Bowl grounds crew paints Denver's logo at both ends.  Oops.

The grounds crew for Super Bowl 50 last week wound up fumbling the end zone paint job.
For a brief time, both end zones at Levi’s Stadium were painted with the Denver Broncos team name and logo, Sports Illustrated reports.
The mistake was quickly covered up and by Thursday one of the end zones featured the team name and logo of the Charlotte Panthers, the other team in the Super Bowl.

***




***NAACP leader uses F-word to apologize for using T-word after N-word meeting.
Huh?

***
Miranda likes to sing, and whenever she begins, her husband heads outside.

Hurt, she asked him, "Don't you like my singing?"

"Of course, dear," he replied. "I just want to make sure the neighbors know I'm not beating you."
 


***Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment