Thursday, January 14, 2016

Animal Worship

***This is just crazy. I have to really hold back sometimes on Facebook when I see people fawning over their animals, attributing human emotions and value to them, spending thousands of dollars on them when they're sick or have something terminal, such as cancer. This latest post, though, went beyond my ability to keep my mouth shut:



Seriously? There were some in the thread accompanying this advocating the death penalty for someone who shoots a dog, just as if they had shot a cop. I had to read through to make sure it wasn't sarcasm. Nope. There are people who equate animals, especially dogs, with human beings.  I like animals, wouldn't mistreat or harm one for anything, but they are animals. They are here for our use, whether it be for food, work, or yes, companionship. I have no problem with people having pets. I grew up on a farm and loved my horses and our beagles. But they were outdoors, and they had a purpose. Never have liked animals in the house, but that is an individual choice. That's not what I'm talking about here.

Matthew 6:26 - Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Luke 12:24 - Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

There is not a lot in the Bible about animals, and I don't remember Paul talking about his brother Spot. What can be found, though, makes pretty clear the order of things. There is one verse I found, though, that speaks against mistreatment. This verse specifically speaks about animals, but in context is speaking about kindness in general:

Proverbs 12:10 - A righteous [man] regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked [are] cruel.

I think cockfighting, dogfighting, etc. are barbaric and reprehensible and people who engage in those activities have some serious mental/emotional problems. But sentence them to long jail sentences and/or death as I have seen people advocate in Facebook threads? No. Fine them, perhaps ban them from ownership of animals, but ruin their lives? That is placing the lives of animals on a much higher plane than was ever intended, in my opinion.

Genesis 9 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, q“Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. rThe fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. sEvery moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And tas I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

Okay, I guess I've spent enough time on this. I just couldn't believe it when I saw that meme above, and had to comment. Onward to other subjects!

***Why Daughters Need Their Dads. This is a powerful article.

Men, we need you. We—mothers, daughters, and sisters—need your help to raise healthy young women. We need every ounce of masculine courage and wit you own because fathers, more than anyone else, set the course for a daughter’s life.

***
funny pictures (6)


***“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories 

No comments:

Post a Comment