Sunday, August 23, 2015

Slacker!

***Wow, I can't believe I haven't blogged since Wednesday. That's the kind of week it was, and the weekend is about the same. We're having the family over for mom's 89th birthday party today, and the last couple of days have been spent cleaning, preparing, cooking, etc. Mark has about killed himself out in the yard, but it looks really great. Got my meatballs in the crockpot, cheeseball done, and I'm going to make a peach cobbler a little later. Really looking forward to having everyone over. My side of the family doesn't get together very often, but everyone always shows up for mom. :-)

***Most in Show. Great story!

Did I win Best in Show?
Of course not.
The winner (not that I'm still upset about it) was a guy who had only entered one thing in the entire fair: baklava. Baklava?! Do you know how boring baklava is? Do you know what color it is? Brown. Let me remind you: I baked a cake that looked like a castle, decorated with turrets made of upside-down ice cream cones, with balustrades crafted from pillow mints. How a brown dessert that doesn't even have frosting stole my prize was beyond me. (I still can't eat baklava to this day.)
I was devastated. Sobbing. Inconsolable.
But then — a miracle!
One of the more attentive judges must have noticed that approximately two-thirds of the submissions in the fair had come from one person, and that this person was a 10-year-old child, because an hour later, I was presented with a special prize — a generic white ribbon, upon which that kind soul had written in Magic Marker: MOST IN SHOW.
Not Best, mind you. Most.
Was I offended by my consolation prize? No! I was consoled! Proud, even. Dammit, I was the Most in Show.
And here's the thing: I still am.
I'm still not the best at anything. Not the smartest, most talented, prettiest, strongest; not the best traveler, best novelist; not the best at foreign languages and not the best yogi. Not the best at anything.
But my heavens, I do show up.

Follow the link for the whole story.

***Fun facts to know and tell...

The largest flower in the world, the rafflesia arnoldi, weighs 7 kg (15 pounds) and grows only on the Sumatra and Borneo islands of Indonesia. Its petals grow to 1.6 ft (1 metre) long and 1 inch (2,5 cm) thick.
There are 16 species of rafflesia, found in Sumatra, Malaysia, Philippines and Borneo. The species is named after the naturalist Sir Stamford Raffles, who founded the British colony of Singapore in 1819. Raffles discovered the parasitic plant with his friend Dr. Joseph Arnold during their travels in May 1818. The rafflesia arnoldi is named after the two.
However fascinating and beautiful the rafflesia arnoldi may be, it is also called “corpse flower” and really reeks, the latter to attract flies for pollination.
Of about 200,000 kinds of flowers in the world, the smallest is the duckweed, which can only be seen with a microscope.

 
And now you know.

***Now there's an idea...

indoor mall slide



***

Everyone grumbled. The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And then there seemed to be nothing beyond,
Then
Daddy fell into the pond!

And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera, quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed!" Click!

Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft,
And it sounded as if the old drake laughed.
Oh, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond
When
Daddy Fell into the pond!

Alfred Noyes  


***
cat,say,uncle,caption


***And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. ~~ Romans 8:28 KJV

***Have a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment