Thursday, January 22, 2015

Finding God in the Mirror

***I read this piece by Jason Scott Jones over at National Review Online, and it's really good. Take the time to read it.

An excerpt:

I mean that I see something very unusual in the people whom I encounter in my areas of activism: a 57-year-old ex-factory worker living on the streets of Los Angeles; a 15-year-old girl who was sexually exploited by a 30-year-old drug dealer and is now carrying a child that the culture tells her to abort; an eleven-year-old Christian living in southern Darfur, whose community is being deprived of water because his family will not convert to Islam.
What I see in these people is the image of the infinitely powerful eternal spirit Whose essence is His existence, the God who strung the cosmos with galaxies. This is not a hallucination, a superstition, or a pious wish. It is something I see, as clearly as I can see the screen in front me now while I’m typing. And it’s my entire task in life to help more people, and finally the culture at large, to see this reality, too.
I was led to this epiphany by the nose, on the string of my own narcissism, through the medium of a murder.

***Colorado Chaos

Under the ACA, the Colorado insurance market is in chaotic flux. The NYT reports that the premium for one standard midlevel silver ACA plan rose this year by 36 percent in one part of Colorado, while in another part a premium for the same plan dropped by almost 40 percent. Apparently many insurers set their prices low to attract customers, but it’s no longer clear if the low rates will be sustainable in the long-run.

***Obama will not meet with Netanyahu during his visit to Washington. This is unconscionable, but I guess nothing this president does should surprise me. You don't snub your best ally in the Middle East. What a child.

President Barack Obama will not meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he travels to Washington in March, the White House said Thursday, one day after being caught off-guard by Republicans' invitation for the Israeli leader to address a joint session of Congress.
Spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said that in keeping with "long-standing practice and principle," the president does not meet with heads of state or candidates in close proximity to their elections.
"Accordingly, the president will not be meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu because of the proximity to the Israeli election, which is just two weeks after his planned address to the U.S. Congress," Meehan said.

Oh please, what a lame excuse.

***House passes anti-abortion bill. Won't get past Obama, of course, but at least they passed it.

***
remember when


***Boston bakery sells Deflate-Gate cookies.

wererer345345435.jpg


***
I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
by William Wordsworth
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: -
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -and gazed -but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought.
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills
And dances with the daffodils.


***
goats,I see what you did there,boat,wordplay


***Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death. ~Author Unknown

***Have a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment