Saturday, December 27, 2014

Preparation

***Dave Ramsey has some great ideas about starting to prepare now for next Christmas. That's the furthest thing from our minds, I would say, but these are good ideas. I'm happy to say that we did not go in debt for anything this Christmas, and no Christmas bills will be rolling in next month. Here are Dave's first two suggestions:

1. Do a holiday debrief

Now that the Christmas season is over, take a few minutes to make a list of things you spent time and money on . Gather your loved ones around and set a game plan for next year. What events and traditions are important to you? What might you want to skip in the future? Time and money are both at a premium during the holidays. Establishing a simple plan in advance will allow you to focus on the things that bring joy to your family.

2. Toss out shabby decorations

Do you know what it’s like to have a string of lights or an artificial tree hanging on for dear life? Sure, everyone does! Don’t hang on to worn-out decorations. When you pack up, throw out the stuff that’s in bad shape. Then write down what you need to replace.

I'm definitely going to toss out some shabby decorations. My mom & aunt & I did a little after Christmas shopping this morning and I picked out a few things to replace some of my decorations that should have been tossed a year or two ago.

***The most biased media quotes of 2014. Boy, I'm not sure how they narrowed this down. So many to choose from. Here is the most repulsive, in my opinion:

Okay. I’m just going to come right out and say it: This is quite possibly the best minute and a half of audio we’ve ever come across — well, come across in a long time anyway. A massive brawl in Anchorage, Alaska, reportedly involving Sarah Palin’s kids and her husband. It was sparked after someone pushed one of her daughters at a party. … And now police have released audio of that interview. It does include some rather colorful language from Bristol. Here now is Bristol’s recollection of how that night unfolded. So sit back and enjoy. — “CNN Newsroom” anchor Carol Costello on Oct. 22, introducing audio of Bristol Palin describing how a man shoved her, dragged her on the ground and repeatedly cursed at her.

Just imagine if someone at Fox News took pleasure in seeing Malia Obama pushed and cursed at. Carol Costello is despicable. Follow the link for more, if you can stomach it.

***From K-Love.com:

Question: "Does the Bible say we will recognize our loved ones in Heaven?" Kay, FL
Answer: There are several passages in the Bible that indicate we will maintain our identity in heaven and be recognized by our loved ones. For example, Jesus makes it a point in Matthew 22:31-32 that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were alive and existing as individuals by those names. Also, in Matthew 17:1-8, Peter, James and John recognized Moses and Elijah. In 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 Paul expected to recognize in heaven fellow believers to whom he had been ministering to on earth. In addition, Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:12, "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known" (NKJ). That last phrase, "I shall know just as I also am known" would indicate that we shall know others as well as be known by others.

Good answer.

***
nope,bath,Cats


***I guess we should have seen this coming: The Supercarb Diet. Exactly the opposite of the LAST trend. I have to say, though, that low carbohydrate eating is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

***Well, it certainly has been nice to have a little pressure off from my business for a couple of days. Not that I haven't worked, it's just that I haven't had the constant pressure of timeframes, stats, etc. I should be able to have everything completely caught up by Monday. I'm trying to get up and work on putting decorations away here and there, too.

***One of my favorite poems:

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


***
commitment

***25,000 cops attend memorial for murdered police officer. 

Thousands of police officers from across the country assembled in winter sunshine in New York City for the funeral of Rafael Ramos, a police officer shot to death with his partner in an ambush last week.
The officers in dress blue uniforms stood outside the Christ Tabernacle Church in Queens for the Saturday morning services. The sea of blue stretched more than six city blocks.
In his eulogy, Mayor Bill de Blasio offered the city's condolences to the Ramos family.
"All of this city is grieving and grieving for so many reasons," he said. "But the most personal is that we lost such a good man."

Too bad someone who really supports police officers didn't do the eulogy.

***Nutelasagna??

***Nevada goats help eat, recycle Christmas trees. 

Goats are known to eat just about anything, but it didn't dawn on Vince Thomas until recently that the menu might include Christmas trees.
"They'll eat the pine needles and leave the skeleton of the tree," said Thomas, a longtime volunteer firefighter who has come up with a new use for his family-owned goat herding business, "Goat Grazers."

***
footloose


***My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition. ~~ Indira Gandhi

***Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment