Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Keep Calm

***Found this gem online. Yesterday and today I have felt really nervous - you know, the butterfly feeling in your stomach. It's the same feeling I get before I'm going to sing in church. There is really nothing pressing coming up that I can think of, other than Christmas, etc., which doesn't usually affect me. Maybe it's all the unrest in the country and the world, I just can't put my finger on it. I wanted to share this devotional I found this morning from Julia Bettencourt. The last part is me to a "T"!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye
might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation:
but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33


I love all that Subway and Poster Art that has words and a solid background saying, "Keep Calm and...." You fill in the blank. There are so many variations. The original being "Keep Calm and Carry On" which was on a poster issued in the UK as a morale booster during World War 2. I have even seen some that say "Keep Calm and Eat Cake" or "Keep Calm and Eat Chocolate". I could go for that advice pretty easily.

I thought about those sayings and was reminded how much the Lord can keep me calm. It was a little while ago that I first jotted down some of my points for this devotional but now as I sit down to type this out from my notes, there is so much unrest in the world. We have so much happening in Libya, Egypt, and all over the Middle East. It makes me shudder to think what I would do without my Lord to be there for me and keep me calm. 

  • Keep Calm and Pray.
    The first thing I find I need to do when I want to keep calm is to pray. There's nothing like being able to just talk to the Lord when you need to. Knowing He is always there to listen whenever I need Him most is so wonderful. Praying relaxes me because I know whatever it is that the Lord is listening and I can just give all my thoughts and worries over to Him.

  • Keep Calm and Read the Word.
    The Bible is full of calming thoughts for me. Initially I usually turn to the Psalms when I need a little calming down. It's full of calming words for me. Some go-to Psalms for me are Psalm 23, 61. and 91. The whole Bible is really chock full of little tidbits that calm me down.

  • Keep Calm and Fellowship.
    I am so glad for that fellowship with other believers in Christ. Christian friends are a wonderful source of lifting us up when we need a shoulder to lean on. They are a calming force to me.

  • Keep Calm and Have Faith.
    Faith makes things possible even when our hearts may be unsettled. When we have faith, we can let out that breath we've been holding. We can relax in what Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

  • Keep Calm and Sing.
    Singing calms me down, especially when I start singing those old hymns. One of my favorites is "Be Still My Soul" when I need calming. I also like to sing those little kid choruses. There's something about those bright little songs mostly about God's love that calm me down. I love singing "Jesus Loves Me!". Love clinging to the thought that "They are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me!".
I know there is so much uncertainty in the world right now. It bothers me and makes me feel so unsettled. Maybe it is because I can sometimes be a little bit of a political junkie, especially in an election year. I want to be smart and know all the details of this and that.

I live in California and where we live we end up with what seems to be about a zillion propositions on our ballots and you have to be informed because those props are all worded so deceitfully.

Sometimes I do get into a little bit of overload of talk radio and news but I think it is important not only as Americans to be well informed but as Christians as well.

With all of this violence in the Middle East and all things that are happening politically, it makes me have a need to keep calm more than ever right now. I'm just so glad that I have the Lord to go to for that calming. The Lord grounds me and helps me to be able to "carry on". After all, He has "...overcome the world." John 16:33. 

There is much more at the link. She says exactly what I feel.

***Taliban attacks children's school in Pakistan, slaughtering at least 130. And the Democrats are trying to tell us we should apologize for "torturing?"

The horrific attack, carried out by a relatively small number of militants from the Tehreek-e-Taliban group, a Pakistani militant group trying to overthrow the government, also sent dozens of wounded flooding into local hospitals as terrified parents searched for their children.
"My son was in uniform in the morning. He is in a casket now," wailed one parent, Tahir Ali, as he came to the hospital to collect the body of his 14-year-old son Abdullah. "My son was my dream. My dream has been killed."

I actually saw a comment in a thread about this which equated the United States to these animals and said we are to blame. I decided not to comment, because first, it would be hard to do so without getting really ugly, and second, someone with that mindset can't be reasoned with, so it would have been futile anyway.

*** More proof of media bias: Washington Post buries story of Virginia Democrat convicted of having sex with a 17-year-old. Oh, imagine if he were a Republican! Remember the headline stories when George Allen uttered the word "macaca?" You would have thought he raped a puppy! But statutory rape by a Democrat? Page 7 stuff.

***More on media bias: Monica Crowley tells how the media's #1 priority is protecting Barack Obama. Well, anyone paying attention knows that, but there are still some liberals out there with their heads stuck in the sand.



“I’m a conservative,” she told me, “although I have kept that quiet for three decades because while the liberal bias was rampant, I enjoyed the work and wanted to keep my jobs.
“Here’s the thing, though,” she continued, “the networks have always been biased to the left. But I have never, ever seen the bias as bad or as obvious as it’s been since Barack Obama first appeared.”
When I asked her for an example, she replied, “Every morning, we hold a meeting about how to build that evening’s broadcast. We’ve been doing this for decades. Everybody talks about which stories we’re going to air, what the line-up looks like, and which reporters we’ll have live in the field and which ones will be filing taped pieces. In the past, the left-wing bias was always left unspoken. People just ‘got it,’ because they all thought the same.
“Once Obama pulled ahead of Hillary and certainly once he became president,” she said, “the bias came out of the closet. Now, every morning when we meet to discuss that night’s show, they literally say — out loud — ‘How do we protect Barack Obama today?’

Read the whole thing, if you can stand it.

***
bro


***I've never been able to get this right - Proper Table Settings

What goes where on the table and which glasses go with what drinks
Real easy to remember, the etiquette experts tell us. The general rule with utensils is to start from the outside of your place setting, and work your way toward the service plate (the main meal plate): soup spoon first, then fish knife and fork, then service knife and fork. 
When to start eating:
Despite what mother told you, culinary experts say you do not always have to wait for everyone to begin – start eating hot food when it is served. For cold foods or buffets, wait for the host to announce dinner and wait until the head guest starts dishing.
 
Proper table setting
 
 
A B C D E
Serviette (napkin) Service plate Soup bowl on plate Bread & butter plate
with butter knife
Water glass
F G H I J
White wine Red wine Fish fork Dinner Fork Salad fork
K L M N
Service knife Fish knife Soup spoon Dessert spoon and cake fork


Now you know. (Does anybody really use all that??)

***
birds,skittles,parrot


***
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. ~~ Margaret Thatcher

***Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment