Saturday, December 13, 2014

Joy

***Stumbled across this today from C.S. Lewis.

Before he began work on the memoir, however, Lewis tells Ellis in this letter that “everything is going well”, but goes on to explain that he does not mean “joy” by this. “In fact I meant by ‘things going well’ just that security – or illusion of security – which you also regard as unhealthy. Real joy seems to me almost as unlike security or prosperity as it is unlike agony,” he writes.
“It jumps under one’s ribs and tickles down one’s back and makes one forget meals and keeps one (delightedly) sleepless o’ nights. It shocks one awake when the other puts one to sleep. My private table is one second of joy is worth 12 hours of Pleasure. I think you really quite agree with me.”

Follow the link for more, it's really good. I know exactly what he means by joy, which I think can only be felt by those who are saved. Joy is different than happiness. It is not dependent on one's current circumstances or feelings. It is that deep contentment that no matter what happens in this life, it is temporary and one's eternal security is settled. I'll never forget how I felt during my first marriage when I learned that my husband had been having an affair with one of my best friends. I had already forgiven him for betraying me earlier in our short four year marriage, but this was the last straw. Anyone reading this, don't ever do that to your husband or wife. There is absolutely no hurt like it. It is really hard to get through, but I remember that even during the worst times when I was so sad, hurt, and angry, I never lost that inner joy that is so hard to explain to people who don't know the Lord. It was an awful time, but I never considered hurting myself, turning to drinking or drugs, or doing any of the destructive things people do when they're at a low point in their life. I know that was God, staying with me through all of it. I don't believe God brings calamity into anyone's life - we live in a sinful world and bad things are going to happen - but He is there to get the believer through it when it inevitably does. If you've never been told how Christ took our sins upon Him so that we could be saved, I urge you to ask a minister or a Christian friend to tell you about it.

And that's my sermon for this morning. :-)

***Johnny & I did a little Christmas shopping at the Richmond mall last night. I must say, it wasn't very crowded. I think it's a nice mall, but apparently interest has really dwindled. Bath & Body Works was really busy, but none of the other stores were. Kinda sad. Today I'm taking my Mom and one of my aunts to Warm Glow. I could spend a whole day in that place. Whoever does their arranging is a genius, it always looks so beautiful in there.

***

Surprised by Joy

By William Wordsworth
 
Surprised by joy—impatient as the Wind
I turned to share the transport—Oh! with whom
But Thee, long buried in the silent Tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind—
But how could I forget thee?—Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss!—That thought’s return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart’s best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.


***This is nuts. The University of Maine banned any overtly religious decorating for Christmas, including candy canes. They backpedaled on that, but this  politically correct junk is really getting out of hand.

The University of Maine will allow the halls to be decked with candy canes, after all.
After an administrator sent out an e-mail to employees telling them "religious-themed" decorations -- which he said included the peppermint confections -- could not be placed in common areas on campus, students went into an uproar. And they got their Christmas wish.
School officials told FoxNews.com that the incident was a misunderstanding and that the e-mail was sent out by a supervisor after a student had voiced concern over Christmas decorations in a dining hall and a lack of decorations for holidays of other religious faiths.
"We are not the Grinches of Maine, Dean of Students Robert Dana told FoxNews.com. "It was a big misunderstanding. The e-mail was in response to an issue a student had raised. His intent was to be inclusive."

Oh, baloney. His intent was to squelch anything remotely Christian. That is the opposite of inclusive.

***It's impossible to be unhappy while eating a cookie.

this makes me so happy


***

Politically Correct Santa

'Twas the night before Christmas and Santa's a wreck...
How to live in a world that's politically correct?

His workers no longer would answer to "Elves",
"Vertically Challenged" they were calling themselves.

And labor conditions at the north pole
Were alleged by the union to stifle the soul.

Four reindeer had vanished, without much propriety,
Released to the wilds by the Humane Society.

And equal employment had made it quite clear
That Santa had better not use just reindeer.

So Dancer and Donner, Comet and Cupid,
Were replaced with 4 pigs, and you know that looked stupid!?

The runners had been removed from his sleigh;
The ruts were termed dangerous by the E.P.A.

And people had started to call for the cops
When they heard sled noises on their roof-tops.

Second-hand smoke from his pipe had his workers quite frightened.
His fur trimmed red suit was called "Unenlightened."

And to show you the strangeness of life's ebbs and flows:
Rudolf was suing over unauthorized use of his nose
And had gone on Geraldo, in front of the nation,
Demanding millions in over-due compensation.

So, half of the reindeer were gone; and his wife,
Who suddenly said she'd enough of this life,
Joined a self-help group, packed, and left in a whiz,
Demanding from now on her title was Ms.

And as for the gifts, why, he'd ne'er had a notion
That making a choice could cause so much commotion.

Nothing of leather, nothing of fur,
Which meant nothing for him. And nothing for her.

Nothing that might be construed to pollute.
Nothing to aim. Nothing to shoot.
Nothing that clamored or made lots of noise.
Nothing for just girls. Or just for the boys.
Nothing that claimed to be gender specific.
Nothing that's warlike or non-pacific.
No candy or sweets...they were bad for the tooth.
Nothing that seemed to embellish a truth.

And fairy tales, while not yet forbidden,
Were like Ken and Barbie, better off hidden.

For they raised the hackles of those psychological
Who claimed the only good gift was one ecological.

No baseball, no football...someone could get hurt;
Besides, playing sports exposed kids to dirt.

Dolls were said to be sexist, and should be passe;
And Nintendo would rot your entire brain away.

So Santa just stood there, disheveled, perplexed;
He just could not figure out what to do next.

He tried to be merry, tried to be gay,
But you've got to be careful with that word today.

His sack was quite empty, limp to the ground;
Nothing fully acceptable was to be found.

Something special was needed, a gift that he might
Give to all without angering the left or the right.

A gift that would satisfy, with no indecision,
Each group of people, every religion;
Every ethnicity, every hue,
Everyone, everywhere...even you.

So here is that gift, it's price beyond worth...

"May you and your loved ones enjoy peace on earth."

This document is copyright (c) Harvey Ehrlich 1992.


***
Merry Christmas 2014 images

 

***If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. ~~ Peter Ustinov

***Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment