Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wow

***I'm just this side of overwhelmed right now...SO much work! Mark and his mom and sister are leaving this evening for Chicago. My nephew who works for the Cubs got us tickets for the game on the 100th anniversary of Wrigley Field. They're going to be doing some great stuff, but I just can't go. Kinda bummed, but that's just the way it is.

***Humanist group sues NJ school district over "Under God." This is sickening. Fine, don't say it if you don't want to. But don't pretend you're all worried about "church and state." You just want to shut Christians up. How very tolerant.

A national humanist group is suing a New Jersey school district on behalf of a family that believes the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is discriminatory toward atheist children.
The lawsuit against the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District was filed in state court last month and announced Monday by the American Humanist Association, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy organization.
The group says the phrase, added in 1954, "marginalizes atheist and humanist kids as something less than ideal patriots." The anonymous plaintiffs say those two words violate the state constitution's right to equal protection.

Awwww, the poor things. How have kids survived up until now?

***Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban. Hey, they got another one right!

 The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday dealt a blow to the use of racial preferences in higher education by upholding a Michigan law that bans the practice in state university admissions.
On a 6-2 vote, with Justice Elena Kagan recused, the court rejected a challenge to the law, although the justices were divided as to the legal rationale. The court made it clear it was not deciding the larger and divisive question of whether affirmative action admission policies can be lawful.
 The dissenters? Sotomayor and Ginsberg, of course.

***                     Uh, don't think so.


***                Ewwww, this totally grosses me out when I see people let their dog do this.


***                  Awwwww...


***
You need not think
It's vanity that makes me prink,
And take much care
To keep myself both fit and fair.
'Tis not false pride or vain conceit
That keeps me trying to be neat,
But just the plain and simple truth
That I have held to since my youth
That this old frame in which I dwell
Is nothing more than the hotel
In which my Soul and Hopes must stay
Until I'm called to move away,
And for their dwelling-place I plan
To give them quite the best I can,
And keep the place up spick and span.
~John Kendrick Bangs (1862-1922), "An Explanation" (February Twenty-third), The Cheery Way: A Bit of Verse For Every Day, 1920
 
***Have a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment