Sunday, March 16, 2014

All You've Ever Wanted

***This is from Casting Crowns' new CD "Thrive."  This is one of those CDs I had to listen to a few times before it grew on me. The first time I heard it my opinion was ... meh, it's okay. Casting Crowns has always had good, solid lyrics, but musically I wasn't as impressed with what they came up with. The more I listen to it, though, the more I like it. This song in particular has a powerful message. I've always been a Baptist because they come the closest to what I believe the Bible says. There are many Baptist preachers and laypeople who don't really get the message of grace, though. Thankfully, my church has a leader who really understands the message of Grace. There is a large church in our area that is very popular, especially with young people. They have wonderful music, a great children's ministry, etc. However, when we were looking for a church home we talked with the pastors one on one, and this particular church does not believe in the security of the believer. Obviously, that's a deal breaker for a grace believer. I love bands and great music as much as anyone, but none of that is as important as solid, Biblical preaching. Anyway, I digress. The best part of this song is this verse: "I was chasing healing when I'd been made well, I was fighting battles when you conquered hell, living free but from a prison cell..." We all tend to do that sometimes, even Grace believers. Jesus either paid the price once and for all, or He didn't. I will definitely be getting the track for this one when it's available.

All You've Ever Wanted by Casting Crowns

I just looked up today
And realized how far away I am from where You are
You gave me life worth dying for
But between the altar and the door
I bought the lies that promised more
And here I go again

Lord, I know I let You down
But somehow, I will make You proud
I'll turn this sinking ship around
And make it back to You

But all my deeds and my good name
Are just dirty rags that tear and strain
To cover all my guilty stains
That You already washed away

(‘Cause) All You've ever wanted, all You've ever wanted
All You've ever wanted was my heart
Freedom's arms are open, my chains have all been broken
Relentless love has called me from the start
And all You wanted was my heart

I was chasing healing when I'd been made well
I was fighting battles when You conquered hell
Living free but from a prison cell
Lord, I lay it down today

So I'll stop living off of how I feel
And start standing on Your truth revealed
Jesus is my strength, my shield
And He will never fail me

No more chains, I've been set free
No more fighting battles You've won for me
Now in Christ, I stand complete


Publishing: © 2013 Sony/ATV Tree Publishing (BMI) All rights on behalf of Sony/ATV Tree Publishing administered by Sony/ATV. / My Refuge Music (BMI) (adm. at EMICMGPublishing.com) / Bernie Herms Music (BMI) (adm. by The Loving Company). All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Writer(s): Mark Hall, Bernie Herms


Addendum: I wrote the above this morning before church.  Then, Pastor James gave what I think may be the best sermon I've ever heard him deliver. It was from Colossians 2, about the completeness of Jesus' finished work on the cross. That's what saves us, +/- nothing. What an uplifting, grace-affirming sermon.  


***No longer hiding her faith. Great story.

***

***
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~~ Proverbs 3:5-6

***Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment