Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beware of the Media

***We're all aware of this, but it bears repeating.

I was outside the Plaza Hotel last night when I re-learned this lesson. It was shortly after Barack and Michelle Obama arrived to speak to the less-than-1-percent who'd paid $10,000 a plate to attend a fundraiser hosted by Sex and the City creator Darren Star. It was the president's second campaign stop of the night: He came to the Plaza directly from the home of Sex and the City star Sarah Jessica Parker, where guests shelled out $40,000 a plate to mingle with the fashionista and Vogue editor Anna Wintour.
One of the journalists in the pool covering the president's appearance emailed a report of the arrival, writing that “the streets were lined w 1000s of people behind barriers trying for a snap of the motorcade on a gorgeous NY night.”
I was on Fifth Avenue when the motorcade came through, and I can say that's not an accurate description of the scene.
There certainly weren't thousands of people lining the streets. I'd guess there were a couple hundred, at most. And at the barrier I was behind, not a single person was there hoping to catch a glimpse of the president—New Yorkers just wanted to get home.

***Learn to love healthy foods. This is a real weakness of mine. There are so many things I don't like that I wish I did. Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, tomatoes, etc. I've tried, I really have. I just don't like 'em. I know they're healthy, low calorie, all that good stuff. I've tried to eat broccoli raw, steamed, covered with cheese, and all that. I just plain old don't like it. I don't know if any of these tips would help, but who knows?

***Ever heard of a "Sharpie party?" It's a social network thing where people converge on a foreclosed home and trash it. Really? You don't have anything better to do?

In the age of Facebook and Twitter, a new crime has hit America: "Sharpie parties," gatherings of party revelers armed with "Sharpie" magic markers and lured by social media invitations to wreak havoc on foreclosed homes.
Five years into the U.S. foreclosure crisis, Sharpie parties are a new form of blight on the landscape of boarded-up homes, brown lawns and abandoned streets. They are also the latest iteration of collective home-trashing spurred by social media.
At least six Sharpie parties were reported in one California county in recent months, where invitations posted online drew scores to c.
The partygoers are handed Sharpie pens on arrival by their hosts and urged to graffiti the walls - a destructive binge that often prompts other acts of vandalism including smashing holes in walls and doors, flooding bathrooms and ripping up floors.
The California spree follows a similar outbreak earlier this year, when teenagers wrecked homes in states including Texas, Florida and Utah after seeing the movie Project X. The film features a house wrecking party sparked by online invitations.

This is in the same category as smashing mailboxes. Honestly, what kind of loser finds stuff like this fun?


***


***Smart workouts. Boy, I have to get myself exercising again. I used to be so faithful to walk, bike, or swim laps 4-5 times a week. Since one of my typists got sick a couple of months ago and passed away recently, I've barely had time to breathe, much less work out. I know, I know....excuses, excuses. I have managed to lose about 8 lbs in that time period, but it's mostly because I just forget to eat (never thought I'd see the day....). There's always someone who needs a report right away, a group of files by a certain time, something like that. I keep thinking, tomorrow I'll just get up and walk for 30 minutes no matter what!! But...it doesn't happen. Even the weekends have been overly busy. Maybe I need an "accountability buddy" to call me and tell me to get up off my butt and outside for 1/2 hour. 

***Obama needs to be a leader regarding Israel...but of course, he won't do what is necessary. The man is a coward.

***                                               "Geez, Mom, you outta Tic Tacs?"


***Conservative offers $20,000 to anyone who can produce Obama's college transcripts. There really must be something in there he doesn't want us to see.

***Facemasks at the beach? Okay, this is just weird.

One way to avoid the dangerous rays of the sun is to stay indoors, another is to apply a healthy layer of sun cream and slap on a wide-brimmed hat.
If you’re in China, however, there is a third option - a 'Face-Kini' complete with a body suit.
The name describes a protective head mask that is being used in Shandong province's East China Sea coast by beach-goers who want to protect their skin from the sun.

***
Taken from Actual Resumes and Cover Letters
–Fortune Magazine

 
“I have lurnt Word Perfect 6.0 computor and spreasheet progroms.”
“Am a perfectionist and rarely if if ever forget details.”
“Received a plague for Salesperson of the Year.”
“Wholly responsible for two (2) failed financial institutions.”
“Reason for leaving last job: maturity leave.”
“Failed bar exam with relatively high grades.”
“It’s best for employers that I not work with people.”
“Let’s meet, so you can ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ over my experience.”
“I was working for my mom until she decided to move.”
“Marital status: single. Unmarried. Unengaged. Uninvolved. No commitments.”
“I have an excellent track record, although I am not a horse.”
“I am loyal to my employer at all costs. Please feel free to respond to my resume on my office voice mail.”
“My goal is to be a meteorologist. But since I possess no training in meteorology, I suppose I should try stock brokerage.”
“I procrastinate, especially when the task is unpleasant.”
“Personal interests: donating blood. Fourteen gallons so far.”
“Instrumental in ruining entire operation for a Midwest chain store.”
“Note: Please don’t misconstrue my 14 jobs as ‘job-hopping’. I have never quit a job.”
“Marital status: often. Children: various.”
“The company made me a scapegoat, just like my three previous employers.”
“Finished eighth in my class of ten.”
“References: none. I’ve left a path of destruction behind me.”

***                                                "I could have had a V8!!"


***A compromise is an agreement whereby both parties get what neither of them wanted.  ~Author Unknown

***Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment