Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

***If you still have your Dad, treasure him. I lost mine six years ago and really miss him.



What I remember most was how hard he worked. He got up every morning at 5:30 to go to work at the Post Office. Mom would always get up with him and fix him a big breakfast. We had a farm, so when he got home he didn't get to just sit down and relax, there was farm work to do. Weekends were the same. Of course, my brothers and sisters and I were expected to help out. I'll never forget pulling weeds by hand in the bean fields. How I hated that! My brothers would get up before school when I was very young and milk the cows. I was too young to do that when we had milk cows, but I remember them doing it. Dad was a good provider, and we never had to worry about him coming home drunk or not coming home at all, as some kids do. He wasn't perfect, but he was Dad and we loved him and we knew he loved us, even though he wasn't good at showing it. I always worried about his salvation and prayed for him fervently. It was never easy for me to talk to him about Jesus, he was skeptical and ridiculed Christianity. Once I wrote him a letter explaining the plan of salvation, because it was much easier for me to write it down than say it to him. When he was in the hospital, though, after his stroke, I felt such a sense of urgency I had to try one more time. Mom left to go to the cafe, and we were in his room alone. I can't even remember what I said, but this time he listened and I prayed with him. I held his hands and he prayed with me. He couldn't say anything, but I have a peace that he is in heaven now, and I'll see him again. RIP, Dad.

***You think unemployment is bad now? Wait until Obama unleashes a glut of 800,000 more immigrant workers. It's all about the votes, people. He doesn't care about YOU.

President Obama has just opened a floodgate of opportunity for young illegal immigrants in the United States, but could it squeeze the aspirations of legal Americans in the process? …
Under the new policy, as many as 1.4 million undocumented immigrants under age 30 will be able to apply for the amnesty, allowing them to work and attend college legally. To be eligible, they must have been in the United States for five years, have no criminal record, and attend high school or college or be a military veteran.
The policy does not provide permanent legal residency, but it protects those who qualify from being deported and gives them a chance to renew their new status every two years. It also does not grant any public benefits, such as Medicare and Medicaid. Federal law already grants all undocumented immigrants the right to a public-school education and emergency hospital care.
The new policy could entail additional costs for administration and enforcement, however, and put pressure on state systems of higher education to meet growing demand for slots.

***Mr. Mom era: Stay-at-home dads doubled over the last decade.  Call me old-fashioned, but that ain't the way it's supposed to be, in my opinion.

***How to be more creative. Well, I certainly need to read this. I don't have a creative bone in my body. Come to think of it, though, I don't know about this article. Here's one of the statements

Accept failure. Enjoy it, even. Embrace the suck, for the suck is part of the process.

Hmmmm...."Embrace the suck." Deep. :-)

***Joe "The Idiot" Biden says the "great" cities are in China, not America. Fine. Move there. Please. 

***This is awesome! It's a not-Photoshopped picture of Earth taken from a Russian weather satellite.



***Odd interspecies adoptions:





***Obama again tries to shift jobs blame to Congress. Does this man ever take responsibility for anything?

***Former AG Gonzales tells Obama, "Stop blaming Bush." Yeah, like that's gonna happen. He's a petulant child, and that's what they do.

President Barack Obama needs to stop blaming his predecessor for the nation’s ills, former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales tells Newsmax.TV.

“I think this is his economy. I really do. I think this is his ‘War on Terror.’ Yes, I do believe that it’s well past time,” Gonzales, who served GOP President George W. Bush from 2005 to 2007, said in an excluive interview at the Faith and Freedom conference in Washington, D.C.

“To use his own words, President Obama said, ‘If I don’t have this economy turned around at the end of three years, then I don’t deserve a second term.’

“So, from that perspective, I would just ask the voters to listen to the president’s own words,” Gonzales said.



***



***My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard.  Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass."  "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply.  "We're raising boys."  ~Harmon Killebrew

A father carries pictures where his money used to be.  ~Author Unknown

The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown

There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

***Have a great day, and give your dad a hug!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment