***Where's W when you need him? Amen. That's the name of Rich Galen's latest article. Have you noticed how, ever so subtly, the terrorists are bolder and bolder since we've had this poor excuse for a president in office? Now Americans traveling to EUROPE are on alert.
The terrorists are still at war with us whether we're at war with them or not. Notwithstanding that Barack H. not George W. has been strutting astride the world stage since noon January 20, 2009, the U.S. Department of State has had to issue a "travel alert" warning U.S. citizens about the dangers of traveling to … Europe. Not Kandahar. Not Tehran. Not Tikrit.
The Eifel tower in Paris. The Spanish Steps in Rome. The Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
But, this can't be! Barack Obama was going to usher in a new era of respect and love for the United States all over the world! Terrorists can smell weakness, and Obama reeks of it. I hope and pray it doesn't happen, but another attack on the scale of 9-11 would not surprise me at all.
***Unfit to govern. Indeed. Here's what's going to happen if Congress continues to sit on its hands and lets the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of the year:
If Congress does nothing on taxes by the end of the year:
- The estate tax will return to pre-2001 levels, socking estates worth more than $1 million with a 55 percent tax.
- The capital gains tax on most assets will jump from 15 percent to 20 percent.
- Dividends currently taxed at 15 percent will skyrocket to individual tax rates that go as high as 39.6 percent.
- The Making Work Pay tax break will cease to exist.
- The Alternative Minimum Tax will hit the middle class for 2010 tax returns.
- A slew of tax breaks that expired last year, including credits for research and development expenses and relief for college tuition, will not be available for 2010 tax returns.
- The Child Tax Credit will revert from $1,000 to $500.
When combined with inaction on the Bush tax cuts affecting marginal rates, taxpayers would be hit with a tax increase that easily tops $4 trillion over the decade if all the tax issues are untouched. Next year's increase alone would amount to over $200 billion, according to Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee.
***Tony Curtis, R.I.P.
***Obama's next Chief of Staff?
No wait, that's his Vice President.
***Working less and doing more.
***The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. ~~ Ayn Rand
***Have a great day!